Friday, July 6, 2018

True Colors


I have spent the last several blog posts focusing on the lessons I learned from past mistakes. For me, taking on this exercise was not only about the lessons learned and the chance to be self-reflective, but also the opportunity to practice vulnerability.

When everyone spends so much time curating the perfect highlight reel for their Instagram story or Facebook feed, it’s now harder than ever to be open about what is really going on in our lives. While nothing is perfect, it seems that these days we feel the need to paint that picture. And so, I think, it’s important now more than ever to show vulnerability and be willing to admit to one’s flaws and foibles.

Traditionally and especially in business, I believe vulnerability has been viewed as weakness. This negative connotation has often prevented folks in leadership roles from revealing their true selves. And so, when I talk to other leaders and members of my team about this trait, I position it as “practicing vulnerability,” as I think we have to make a conscious effort to show others who we really are.

And while practicing vulnerability can be a scary proposition to some, I would argue that when it comes to leading a team, it has tremendous payoffs. By practicing vulnerability, you:
  • Demonstrate that you need others and signal a willingness to collaborate.
  • Create a sense of relatability and accessibility among your team and colleagues.
  • Inspire others to be vulnerable and follow your lead.
  • Build bonds of trust and loyalty.

At the end of the day, being perfect does not equate to being successful. Leaders who admit mistakes, are open and honest about the missteps and flaws garner much more than those who don’t. 

No comments:

Post a Comment